Mele taught a free ‘ukulele workshop as part of 8 Ukulele Mix Plate events at the Shops at Wailea from January – April 2015.
Some people borrowed a ‘ukulele from Mele Ukulele store who had a table nearby. Some people brought their own instruments and their own chairs.
Visual aids of ‘ukulele chord shapes laminated on 8 1/2” x 11” paper were placed on a Velcro display board for the audience to see from a distance.
We brought our wireless headset mics so Mele could be heard when turning her head to point to out the ‘ukulele chord shapes on the display board.
The basic format for the workshop was:
1. 2 chord song – (NEW) The More We Get Together – Waltz Strum.
2. 2 chord song – Horse with No Name – Chalang-alang Strum.
3. 3 chord songs – Lion Sleeps Tonight – I Wanna Rest Strum.
4. (same 3 chords) She’ll Be Comin’ Round the Mountain – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
5. (same 3 chords) La Bamba/Twist & Shout.
The most fun was playing and singing the Medley: La Bamba/Twist and Shout with the Latin Strum and seeing people dancing to the beat all around us. The video is on Mele’s YouTube Channel.
(Photo of Mele getting ready to teach the 2-chord song “Horse With No Name” with the help of visual aids at Ukulele Mix Plate at Shops at Wailea on 4 February 2015)