“Cheers to Ukulele Mele On Maui’s 4th Anniversary!” We treated ourselves to lunch at the famous Mama’s Fish House and enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks to a gift card for $150.00 that we received as a tip for entertaining at a private party, we were able to celebrate the occasion in style. The food and service was great. Since we don’t go out to dine that often, it was a real treat to go to a famous place and play tourist. What a great way to celebrate the date when I first took out a business license to pay state of Hawaii general excise taxes on July 1, 2011!
I own one of the 11,000 out of 15,000 small businesses in Maui County without employees. Ukulele Mele On Maui is a ‘ukulele education and entertainment business with the goal of bringing the joy of making music through playing the ‘ukulele worldwide. I teach ‘ukulele lessons on Maui, online, and via retail packaged sets of book/DVD/CD, plus entertain professionally in the husband-wife duo The Hawaiian Serenaders. My website, social media presence, products and services have grown since inception, and we’re still having fun!
Reflect. Refocus. Recharge. In May 2015, I attended Maui Small Business Week workshops that were offered around the island. As a result, I benefited by being able to:
- Reflect on what has and hasn’t worked to grow my business
- Refocus on where I want my business to grow and how to get there
- Recharge with new tools and contacts to help achieve my goals
It has been a great ride over the past four years of teaching and entertaining. Some of the new ventures included:
- Teaching workshops at Hilo Hattie’s store on Oahu
- Teaching and entertaining at Ukulele Mixed Plate (new weekly event) in Wailea, Maui
- Organizing the first Homer Ukulele Players Event in Alaska
- Presenting Hawaiian oral history & sing-along programs
- Designing new Ukulele Mele Basics and Beyond the Basics online courses offered at Kaunoa Senior Center
- Retailing Ukulele Mele souvenir ornaments
What will the next few years bring? As Thomas Edison said, “Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning.” Cheers as we go forward!
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele