The business of Ukulele Mele On Maui increased 127% from 2015 to 2016 making it a busy year for both teaching ‘ukulele and performing in the community. My mission is to “share the joy of making music one ‘ukulele player at-a-time.” Here are some highlights and comments received in 2016:
“Besides teaching ukulele, Mele also taught us a lot of Hawaii. We never played the ukulele before, but after one week of intensive lessons, we have a variety of songs we can play…”–S & B, Switzerland, March 2016.
“The best was Ukulele Week which was so much fun – I love it.”–L.P., Maui, November 2016. (Read about Ukulele Mele Music Week)
“Beautiful Sunday afternoon! Mahalo Mele and Rich and the lovely hula ladies for making it more special! Brought back memories of my very first visit to the islands 40 years ago. Remembering the sweet music, the scent of plumeria, the warm colors of Aloha wear, feeling welcome like ohana and why I made this place home.”– E.M, Maui (originally from Illinois), April 2016. (Read about Maui Made Sundays shows by The Hawaiian Serenaders)
Other Highlights of 2016 included:
- Feature story in The Maui News. (online version or download PDF version)
- Improved website navigation; new layout with slideshow and shopping cart.
- Launched Single Songs Purchases on website with 5 Christmas songs in December (with new video stories, video lesson, audio, and PDF songsheet).
- Revised all 6 Packaged Song Sets of book/DVD/CD with consistent cover photos, look, and feel for the books with editorial assistance by D. Cleaveland.
- Gave public access to the online Fan Club (previously required registration) to listen to 97 audio recordings “you can learn to play the Ukulele Mele Way.”
- Offered “Five Songs” to learn each month relating to that month (See Mele’s blog category).
In addition, I taught 99 classes and special events (a 143% increase from 2015) at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better. What started as a 6-month experiment with my first beginner ‘ukulele class in January 2009 has expanded to teaching ‘ukulele for different skill levels and musical interests, Hawaiian history, and sing-along classes plus leading student performing groups into the community. (Read a summary of senior classes in 2016)
But wait, there’s more!
- Read more about past events in 2016
- See our photo galleries
- Read more about Ukulele Mele History
My fifth year of teaching ‘ukulele and performing and meeting people from all over the world who are interested in the ‘ukulele was a great year. Onward we go to 2017!
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele