Highlights of the year 2011 at Kaunoa Senior Center included making music videos of Band performances with hula and uploading them to my new YouTube channel. We had planned to take the Band to Japan, but because of the March earthquake and tsunami we decided not to go. Our Japan contacts asked us to post videos on the internet to be shared in Japan in lieu of us performing in person.
Another highlight of the year was taking out my business license on July 1st as Ukulele Mele On Maui as encouraged by Kaunoa students to get into the virtual classroom. (Read more about my business history here)
I taught 89 classes during the year 2011:
- 76 classes
- 13 Band shows
Here are the details:
57 continuing ‘ukulele classes. Band class focused on performing. Advanced ‘Ukulele class focused on using the He Mele Aloha Songbook with my arrangements..
- Band (Intermediate ‘Ukulele). 39 classes.
- Advanced ‘Ukulele (Mele’s Alumni Club). 18 classes.
17 Beyond the Basics classes. Students received Xerox copies of song sheets and practice CD. Upon graduation from the 6th month course, students as a class demonstrated their abilities to play 6 unique strumming styles without me.
- 4th group graduated in December. (July-December)
2 new Strumming Workshops with mini shows. Students received an introduction to songs with unique strums they can learn to play plus entertainment by Band members.
- 1 class (April)
- 1 class (June)
13 Maui Ukulele Pops Band shows accompanied by Rich on u-bass.
- Keiki Karnival at Christ the King Church. (February)
- Kaunoa nutrition program at Kahului Union Church (May)
- Akaku TV studio to video record 17 songs (May)
- Akaku TV studio (May)
- Upcountry Fair at Oskie Rice Park (June)
- Plant Sale at Maui Nui Botanical Gardens (August)
- Maui County Special Fair at War Memorial fairgrounds (September)
- Ukulele Festival at Maui Arts & Cultural Center (October)
- 4th Annual Maui Ukulele Guild Exhibition at Queen Ka’ahumanu Center (November)
- Christmas fundraiser at Bailey House Museum (November)
- Kaunoa nutrition program at Kahului Union Church (December)
- Christmas program at Kalama Heights Retirement Residence (December)
- Christmas program at Nisei Veterans Center (December)
In addition to offering the above classes and performances, my husband and I hosted the Band Christmas party at our house.
The Maui Ukulele Jazz Trio also performed 2 shows with Hinano as our third member:
- County Senior Fair at War Memorial Gymnasium (October debut)
- 4th Annual Maui Ukulele Guild Exhibition at Queen Ka’ahumanu Center. (November)
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele