Before the program, a grandmother with two small children under the age of 8 asked, “Are we singing Old McDonald Had A Farm?” I replied that we’d be singing songs that adults may remember singing from childhood, but not necessarily children’s songs. There’s a difference. After the program, they expressed their enjoyment.
Twenty-four people signed up for my monthly Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Small Kid Time Songs on Thursday, June 22 at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better. The audience included four children under the age of 8 who came with their grandmothers. I had considered the idea for this special inter-generational program at the start of summer and finally offered it new this year. The singing was louder this time as more people sang the familiar songs. Only two songs were in the Hawaiian language. I prepared 12 songs, but at the end of 9 songs the length of the program was just past an hour and it seemed a good time to wind down. The “Sing-Along with Mitch Miller” format of projecting the song lyrics and ‘ukulele chords on a screen at the front of the room, and having my husband provide the u-bass line to fill in the lower tones to the higher pitched ‘ukulele works just great! Plus singing happy songs is fun!
Here are the 11 small kid time songs we learned:
- Froggie Went A-Courtin’ – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.*
- Take Me Out to the Ballgame – 2 Waltz Strums.
- She’ll Be Comin’ ‘Round the Mountain – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Boy From Laupāhoehoe – ‘Ōlapa Strum (Hawaiian language).
- You Are My Sunshine – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- The More We Get Together – 2 Waltz Strums.
- I’ve Been Working on the Railroad – 4And Rest/Tom Tom Strum.
- One Paddle, Two Paddle – I Wanna Rest Strum.*
- Que Sera, Sera – 2 Waltz Strums.*
- Oh Susanna – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Hawaii Aloha – Morse Code Strum.
Stay tuned for the next Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Patriotic Songs on Thursday, July 20.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele