“Thank you for a great session today. It was so nice to see all the happy faces, singing and tapping of the feet, and even dancing!!” commented Kaunoa’s Leisure Program Director Cecilia Suzuki.
Thirty-seven people signed up for my monthly Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Rock ‘n’ Roll Songs on Thursday, September 5, 2019 at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better on Maui. We sang 11 songs from the early rock ‘n’ roll era. We had the largest turnout ever!
New this time we were in a smaller room than the usual multi-purpose room and thus the singing voices sounded loud. We also had a new crowd mostly in wheelchairs from Hale Makua residential care facilities who really sang their hearts out.
We continued the “Sing-Along with Mitch Miller” format of projecting the song lyrics and ‘ukulele chords on a screen at the front of the room for singers and ‘ukulele players to see. We also continued the routine of telling the story behind each song and playing each song twice to reinforce what we learned.
We sang 11 songs during the 70-minute program. Here is the song list with the names of my unique ‘ukulele strums to song arrangements taught by no one else:
- Rock Around The Clock – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Under the Palm Tree – Latin Strum.
- In The Still Of The Night – I Wanna Rest/4And Strums.
- Peggy Sue – Tom Tom Strum.
- All I Have To Do Is Dream – Morse Code Strums.
- Proud Mary – Tom Tom Strum.
- Silhouette – I Wanna Rest Strum.
- Blue Suede Shoes – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- My Girl – Latin Strum.
- Be My Baby – Boom Shaka I Wanna Strum.
- Hawaii Aloha – Morse Code Strum.
The next Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – International Songs is Thursday, October 25.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele