“We need to sing these kind of songs about brotherhood especially during these times,” commented a singer after the program. “My friend Chris enjoyed the Sing-Along and was touched that you recognized the veterans today,” commented an ukulele student who had brought her friend Chris who was retired from 30 years in the Army.
Twenty-one people signed up for my monthly Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Patriotic Songs on Thursday, July 20 at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better. We chose the monthly theme to coincide with 4th of July celebrations around the country.
The singing was the loudest that we’ve had so far this year, probably because the songs were in English and were familiar to the crowd. One 93-year-old man who really sang out loud in a clear baritone told me before class started that he likes to sing Broadway tunes. The “Sing-Along with Mitch Miller” format of projecting the song lyrics and ‘ukulele chords on a screen at the front of the room, and having my husband provide the u-bass line to fill in the lower tones to the higher pitched ‘ukulele worked great!
Here are the 10 patriotic songs we learned:
- Yankee Doodle – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- America the Beautiful – Pick in 4 Strum.
- You’re a Grand Old Flag – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- My Country ‘Tis of Thee – Waltz Variation Strum.
- Yankee Doodle Boy – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- God Bless America – Morse Code / Pick in 4 Strums.
- When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again – I Wanna Rest Strum.
- Home on the Range – 2 Waltz Strums.
- This Land is Your Land – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Hawaii Aloha – Morse Code Strum.
Stay tuned for the next Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Island Songs on Thursday, August 17 as we celebrate Admissions Day when Hawaii became the 50th state of the union on August 21, 1959.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele