“I thought Aloha ‘Oe was the song to sing to end a program,” commented a person who grew up in Hawai’i and lives on the mainland part-time. She was surprised that the traditional song is Hawai’i Aloha.
Sixteen people signed up for my monthly Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Patriotic Songs on Thursday, July 25, 2019 at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better on Maui. We sang 10 songs (including a medley of 2 songs) to celebrate America’s birthday on the 4th of July.
We continued the “Sing-Along with Mitch Miller” format of projecting the song lyrics and ‘ukulele chords on a screen at the front of the room for singers and ‘ukulele players to see. We also continued the routine of telling the story behind each song and playing each song twice to reinforce what we learned.
We sang 10 songs during the 60-minute program. Here is the song list with the names of my unique ‘ukulele strums to song arrangements taught by no one else:
- Yankee Doodle – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- America The Beautiful – Pick in 4 Strum.
- Medley: Yankee Doodle Boy/You’re A Grand Old Flag – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- My Country ‘Tis of Thee – Waltz Variation Strum.
- Camptown Races – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- God Bless America – Pick in 4 Strum.
- This Is My Country – Tom Tom/Latin Strums.
- When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again – I Wanna Rest Strum.
- This Land is Your Land – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Hawaii Aloha – Morse Code Strum.
The next Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Island Songs is Thursday, August 15.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele