“I want one of your ‘ukulele books,” commented a first timer visiting from California by way of Italy after the program. “I remember seeing you perform at the Shops At Wailea the last time we were in town,” commented another first timer who was referring to our Ukulele Mixed Plate group lessons and entertainment show in 2015. “We’ll have to plan to be here long enough to take your ‘ukulele classes next year,” commented Bob and Carol from New York.
Thirty-seven people signed up for my monthly Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Paniolo Songs on Thursday, February 21, 2019 at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better on Maui. We sang Hawaiian cowboy, country and western songs.
During February’s “Hawaiian history moment of the month,” I talked about the statue of Ikua Purdy roping a steer that was erected on the Big Island of Hawai’i in February 2003 to honor the Native Hawaiian who stunned the American west by winning the World Roping Championship in Wyoming in 1908.
We continued the “Sing-Along with Mitch Miller” format of projecting the song lyrics and ‘ukulele chords on a screen at the front of the room for singers and ‘ukulele players to see. Our wireless headsets and wireless instrument inputs made it possible to move around without being attached to cables to the amplifier. We also continued the routine of telling the story behind each song and playing each song twice to reinforce what we learned.
We repeated 8 songs from last year and added 3 new songs during the 75-minute program. Here is the song list with the names of my unique ‘ukulele strums taught by no one else:
- Paniolo Country – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Ulupalakua – ‘Olapa Strum.
- NEW I’m An Old Cowhand (From the Rio Grande) – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Could I Have This Dance – 2 Waltz Strums.
- Hey Good Lookin’ – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- NEW Home on the Range – 2 Waltz Strums.
- Ring of Fire – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- King of the Road – I Wanna Rest Strum.
- NEW Red River Valley – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Take Me Home Country Roads – Latin Strum.
- Hawaii Aloha – Morse Code Strum.
The next Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Broadway Show Tunes is Thursday, March 14.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele