We got a “thumbs up“ from our two friends from Australia at the conclusion of our Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Flower and Lei Songs on Thursday, May 4 at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better. Twenty one people signed up for the program. We first met Jim and Julie from Brisbane a few years ago when they heard us perform as the husband-wife duo The Hawaiian Serenaders at Queen Ka’ahumanu Center and then participated in our November ‘Ukulele Strumming Workshop at the Bailey House. They had encouraged us to present workshops at the Brisbane Ukulele Festival aka SPRUKE, but it didn’t work out. We were happy to see them back in Maui on vacation and happy they could attend one of my programs.
Here are the 9 flower and lei songs (including 4 hapa haole songs) we did in the program:
- May Day is Lei Day – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Pua ‘Āhihi – I Wanna Rest Strum.
- For You A Lei – Bossa Nova/Latin Strums.
- Pua Lililehua – Morse Code Strum.
- My Yellow Ginger Lei – I Wanna Rest Strum.
- Pua Lilia – 2 Waltz Strums: Thumb Strum Up/Chicken Pluck.
- I’ll Weave a Lei of Stars For You – I Wanna Rest/Latin Strums.
- Pua Mae Ole – Pick in 4 Strum.
- Hawaii Aloha – Morse Code Strum.
Stay tuned for the next Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Small Kid Time Songs on Thursday, June 22.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele