“We go to local parties and now we have a better idea of what they’re singing,” commented recent transplants to Maui.
Twenty two people signed up for my monthly Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Island Party Songs on Thursday, September 7 at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better. We chose the monthly theme to celebrate Aloha Festivals month, a time when each of the Hawaiian Islands celebrates the aloha spirit with festivals.
The “Sing-Along with Mitch Miller” format of projecting the song lyrics and ‘ukulele chords on a screen at the front of the room, and having my husband provide the u-bass line to fill in the lower tones to the higher pitched ‘ukulele worked great!
Here are the 11 party songs we learned:
- Medley: Maui Boy/Maui Girl – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- The Pidgin English Hula – I Wanna Rest / 4 And Strums.
- Manuela Boy – Latin Strum.
- E Huli Makou – ‘Ōlapa Strum.
- Princess Poopooly – I Wanna Rest / 4 And Strums.
- U.S.E.D. – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Aloha No Wau I Ko Maka – 2 Waltz Strums.
- Keep Your Eyes on the Hands – I Wanna Rest / 4 And Strums.
- Medley: Tiny Bubbles/Pearly Shells – Swing/Hum Ding-Ah Strums
- Yellow Bird (local style) – Latin Strum.
- Hawaii Aloha – Morse Code Strum.
Stay tuned for the next Sing-Along with Mele Fong Series – Na Lani Eha and More on Thursday, October 5 as we celebrate the four royal composers.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele