The Hawaiian Serenaders, the husband and wife duo of Richard Tom and Mele Fong presented a concert for Grandparents Day on Sunday, September 8 from 10 – 11 a.m. at the Sun Deck of Kula Hospital. The Serenaders sang and played ‘ukulele and u-bass to a mix of Hawaiian, pop and jazz songs including a few hula songs as requested from a nurse who danced hula during the program. There were about 40 patients and their families who attended out concert.
“Hallelujah,” exclaimed a patient as we approached the sun deck with all of our equipment to setup for the concert. There were about 10 people already waiting when we arrived 50-minutes before show time. A nurse told us another patient was going to stay in her room until she heard we were coming and said, “Let’s go.”
We played a mix of songs from our recent Pop & Jazz Concert including:
- Kupa Landing – Hum Ding-Ah Variation Strum.
- Medley: Yes Sir That’s My Baby/Five Foot Two/Baby Face – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Moon River – 2 Waltz Strums.
- Dixieland Jazz. Bill Bailey – Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
- Rock ‘n’ Roll. Proud Mary – Tom Tom Strum.
- Could I Have This Dance – 2 Waltz Strums.
- Quando, Quando, Quando – Tony Renis & Alberto Testa, 1962.
- Ulupalakua – Olapa Strum with hula by Nurse Joan.
- Mahina O Hoku – I Wanna Rest Strum with hula by Nurse Joan.
- Rock ‘n’ Roll. Only You – Buck Ram, 1955.
- Last Song: When You’re Smiling – Hum Ding-Ah Strum
- Hana Hou: Hawaii Aloha – Morse Code Strum
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele