“You are my Christmas party,” commented a student.
Thirty nine people (nine more than last year) signed up for the 5th Annual Ukulele Mele Christmas Party on Wednesday, December 20 from 9:00 a.m. – 12 noon. at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better. The party is open to anyone regardless if they are my current students or not and thus, it was heartwarming to see so many people singing and playing ‘ukulele and having fun together.
During the welcome I introduced a couple visiting from Arizona (Trudy and Larry who we met the previous Saturday at my monthly Ukulele Strumming Workshop, and a student (Peggy) who after a year of classes is coming into Ukulele Strumming 202 in January (continuing class by invitation only). Note: Alma won the “Guess how many pieces in the candy jar” game by guessing the exact amount of 110.
There were three new elements this year:
- “Highlights with Mele Fong” PowerPoint presentation included a review of 2017 classes and a preview of 2018 classes.
- All 13 songs were put in the “Sing-Along with Mele Fong” Powerpoint presentation format eliminating the requirement for handouts for singers or binders of song sheets taught in classes.
- Ornament exchange game was determined by a person’s birthday month starting with December which went a lot faster than the previous right left game we used to play.
How did the party start? Years ago at Kaunoa I noticed the absence of sing-alongs of happy secular songs for the season. Thus, I decided to offer a program that I thought would be fun rather than wait until a class was offered. This was my third year of leading the following 13 Hawaiian style Christmas songs with unique ‘ukulele strums which the Advanced Ukulele class and ‘Ukulele Strumming 202 class learned ahead of time (note songs get progressively harder to play):
- Jingle Bells with a verse in Hawaiian – Hum Ding-Ah Strum
- Silver Bells – 2 Waltz Strums
- Feliz Navidad – Latin Strum
- Mele Kalikimaka Ia ‘Oe – Hum Ding-Ah Strum
- Hawaiian Santa – I Wanna Rest Strum and 4And Strum
- Holly Jolly Christmas – Hum Ding-Ah Strum
- The Christmas Song – Pick in 4 Strum
- Winta Wandaland – Hum Ding-Ah Strum and X Marks the Spot Strum
- Christmas Island – Swing Strum and 4And Strum
- White Christmas – I Wanna Rest and Latin Strums
- Aloha Kalikimaka – 2 Waltz Strums
- Christmas Luau (omitted because no time this year) – Play ‘Ukulele Yes I Can Strum and 4And Strum
- Mele Kalikimaka – Hum Ding-Ah Strum
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele