THE HAWAIIAN SERENADERS gave a ukulele concert with hula dancers for the monthly “Picnic for Poki” on Thursday, June 21 from 11 a.m. – 12: 30 p.m. under the monkey pod tree on the grounds of Kaahumanu Church in Wailuku, Maui. This was our first performance and our honor as entertainers need to asked to perform. Roselani Place and Ola Na Mele Productions were sponsors of the event. There were more than one hundred people who came to our concert and we even got a standing ovation! Afterwards, a young man came up asking for a photo (he was buying our CD), and a young woman asked for a photo (she watches my YouTube channel from California).
The Hawaiian Serenaders is the stage name for our husband-wife duo as we entertain on ukulele, ukulele-bass, and vocals. We customized our concert in keeping with the goal of “Picnic for Poki held every third Thursday of the month to continue bringing the spirit of aloha and Hawaiian music to the Maui community in honor of the late Allen “Braddah Poki” Pokipala. Braddah Poki was dedicated to sharing Hawaiian music and culture through various venues in Hawaii.” — Excerpt from Roselani Place June 2018 newsletter.
Nine hula dancers from Na Kupuna O Kaunoa joined us for 7 songs at the concert. We were pleased to see front page coverage of three photos with captions in our local newspaper, The Maui News, on Saturday, June 23. Some of the dancers also take ukulele lessons from me at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better. In fact, I teach many of the songs we performed to my students at Kaunoa.
Here is our show list of 21 songs with my unique ukulele strum name (for different rhythms):
- Kupa Landing – Hum Ding-Ah
- To You Sweetheart Aloha – I Wanna Rest
- Hula – E Huli – Olapa
- Lahainaluna – I Wanna Rest
- Lahaina – Latin
- Hula – Puamana – I Wanna Rest
- Kuu Morning Dew – Pick in 4/Latin
- Uwehi Ami and Slide – Instrumental/I Wanna Rest
- Hula Bev – Maui Waltz – 2 Waltz
- Island Medley – Hum Ding-Ah
- Hula Kaleo – Sophisticated Hula
- Wahine Holo Lio – Pick in 4/I Wanna Rest
- Hula Bev – Hula O Makee – Olapa
- Days of My Youth – Latin
- Wahine Ilikea – Bossa Nova
- Hula – Hanalei Moon – I Wanna Rest
- Hula – Papalina Lahilahi – Olapa
- Flying – Bossa Nova
- O Ka Leo – Hum Ding-Ah
- Maile Lei – Bossa Nova
- Hana Hou – Somewhere in Hawaii – Latin
Visit our Hawaiian Serenaders webpage.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele