Professionals sing and play ‘ukulele in public
Mele Fong and her husband Richard Tom are professional entertainers who have represented the state of Hawai’i in concert at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. They play a variety of music and also lead other groups in performing on Maui. “The Hawaiian Serenaders” are artists with the University of Hawai’i Statewide Cultural Extension Program.
The Hawaiian Serenaders – the husband and wife duo of Richard Tom and Mele Fong – showcase the versatility of Hawai’i’s official instrument by singing and playing ‘ukulele and u-bass to a mix of Hawaiian, hapa haole, pop, and jazz favorites since 1994. VISIT THE SERENADERS PAGE >>
Maui Ukulele Pops Band – Mele and Rich have led Mele’s Advanced Ukulele class students at Kaunoa Senior Center in public performances since 2009. VISIT THE BAND’S PAGE >>
Maui Ukulele Jazz Trio – Mele and Rich joined by Mele’s master student performed difficult jazz arrangements from 2011-2017 at community events. VISIT THE TRIO’S PAGE >>
MEMORABLE MOMENTS – CLICK ON A PHOTO for the story behind it
SHOWS AT SPECIAL EVENTS
- Kennedy Center Concert >> In Washington, D.C.
- Maui Made Sundays >> At Queen Ka’ahumanu Center
- Maui Marathon >> At Ka’anapali featuring the Serenaders Signature Song
- Maui Ukulele Festival >> At Maui Arts & Cultural Center
- Maui Ukulele Guild Exhibition >>At Queen Ka’ahumanu Center
- Picnic For Poki >> In Wailuku
- Pop & Jazz Ukulele Concert >> At Kaunoa Senior Center
- Upcountry Fair >> At Oskie Rice Field and Arena
SERENADER SHOWS WITH ‘UKULELE WORKSHOPS
- Maui Steel Guitar Festival >> At Kaanapali Beach Hotel
- Ukulele Explosion >> At Kalama Intermediate School and Iao Theater
- Ukulele Mix Plate >> At Shops At Wailea
SOCIAL MEDIA (stay connected)
• Like Ukulele Mele on Facebook – launched November 2011.
• YouTube Channel – launched August 2011.
• Bookmark Mele’s blog – launched December 31, 2013 with weekly postings on Mondays and then changed frequency to 1st of the month starting January 1, 2020.