The new song list for the July-September quarter has been announced for my Advanced ‘Ukulele class that meets at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better in Maui. We will be playing a mix of ten old and new songs for the third quarter of the year with six classes scheduled on the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
Many students have been with me since I starting teaching in January 2009. They have had many years to learn my unique method of forming ‘ukulele chords with minimal muscle strain and strumming rhythm patterns taught by no one else. My husband and I have taken some students on the road as the group Maui Ukulele Pops Band to perform my unique song arrangements in the greater Maui community.
Students receive the song sheets by email to print and bring to class or refer to on their digital device (small tablets). Outside of class, students can play along to the audio recordings for each of the songs on my website. We enjoy playing our ‘ukulele and singing Hawaiian, hapa haole, pop, and jazz songs together. Anyone can listen to the audio recordings on my online Fan Club page.
Here is the song list with the name of strum, key, and number of chords:
- Aloha Kauai– I Wanna Rest – F-13 chords
- E Huli Makou – ‘Ōlapa – C and F-8 chords
- Girl From Ipanema – Bossa Nova – F-11 chords
- God Bless America – Morse Code/Pick in 4 – C-9 chords
- Haleakalā– Pick in 4 – C-9 chords
- King Kamehameha – I Wanna Rest/4And – C-12 chords
- Medley: Yes Sir That’s My Baby/Five Foot Two/Baby Face – Hum Ding-Ah – F-16 chords
- Moon River – 2 Waltz – F-13 chords
- Only You – I Wanna Rest/Latin – C-14 chords
- Sunny – Bossa Nova – Am-6 chords
For information about our performing groups:
- Maui Ukulele Pops Band – students
- Maui Ukulele Jazz Trio – master student with my husband and I
- The Hawaiian Serenaders – professional duo of my husband and I
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele