In celebration of Earth Day on April 22 this month, let’s learn 5 songs about Hawai’i’s beautiful places. Some of the songs are considered hapa haole, meaning Hawaiian style music with English lyrics. Some of the songs take place around Waikiki, on the island of Oahu, and some tell general stories about the beauty of the islands.
Intermediate and advanced ‘ukulele players will have an easier time playing the songs with 5-14 chords and some complex strums.
Here are songs you can learn to play the Ukulele Mele Way:
1. Soft Green Seas by R. Alex Anderson (Key of D, 14 chords, I Wanna Rest and Latin Strums).
2. Royal Hawaiian Hotel by Mary Robins (Key of F, 9 chords, I Wanna Rest Strum).
3. Hawaiian War Chant – by Prince Leleiohoku (Key of C, 5 chords, I Wanna Rest and Latin Strums).
4. Kuu Pua I Paoakalani – by Queen Lili’uokalani (Key of D, 6 chords, Pick in 4 Strum).
5. Hawaii Calls – by Harry Owens (Key of F, 6 chords, Bossa Nova Strum).
Stay tuned for May’s theme of “Island Songs for May Day.”
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele