To inspire you this month, here are 5 Island Songs with unique ‘ukulele strums that you can learn to play The Ukulele Mele Way as we celebrate Hawai’i’s Admissions Day as the 50th state of the union on August 21, 1959.
Click the song title to hear audio samples:
- Hawai’i Aloha with Morse Code Strum
- Maui Girl with Hum Ding-Ah Strum (Maui)
- On The Beach At Waikiki with Hum Ding-Ah Strum (Oahu)
- Hula O Makee with ‘Olapa Strum (Kauai)
- Akaka Falls with 2 Waltz Strums (Big Island)
Learn to play the songs (get song sheet, video lessons and audio recording) by:
- Subscribe to Complete Monthly Online Lessons for Advanced players to learn to play all the songs plus 45 others for 30 days at-a-time access. Plus, only online do you get the video stories behind the songs in keeping with Hawaiian oral history traditions whether the song is Hawaiian or not.
- Purchase Nostalgic Hawaiian Songs Volume One packaged song set of book/DVD/CD to learn On The Beach At Waikiki and Hula o Makee plus 4 other songs.
- Purchase Nostalgic Hawaiian Songs Volume Two packaged song set of book/DVD/CD to learn Hawaii Aloha plus 5 other songs.
- Purchase Hapa Haole Songs Volume One packaged song set of book/DVD/CD to learn Maui Girl plus 5 other songs.
How is my method unique?
- No need to read music to learn the Ukulele Mele Way
- My method shows how to form chords without muscle strain, plus unique strums taught nowhere else
- I have over 50+ years experience as a ‘ukulele player, entertainer, and teacher
- I offer different ways on and offline to learn in addition to lessons on Maui
- I give free Fan Club access to 95 audio files of songs available to learn via lessons on Maui or webcam
Questions? Contact me for general questions, or schedule a private webcam lesson to get feedback from me about what you’re learning from the comfort of your home.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele