Ukulele Mele On Maui in the past
Ukulele Mele On Maui began in July 2011 as a family business with the mission to share the joy of making music one ukulele player at-a-time. The business offered private ukulele lessons, workshops, and entertainment for residents and visitors on Maui, and ways to continue learning online or by packaged song sets of Book/DVD/CD from home as this YELP produced video showed in 2017.
By the end of 2018, private lessons and workshops were no longer being offered. By the end of 2019, the shopping cart to purchase online lessons and single song downloadable lessons was disabled.
In 2020 and beyond, students can request private ‘ukulele lessons located at Mele’s music studio in Kula and view lesson videos and more on Mele Fong’s YouTube channel. Classes for seniors 55+ continue to be offered.
MEMORABLE MOMENTS – CLICK ON A PHOTO for the story behind it and testimonials
- 2011 – First private lesson with woman from California who has stopped by our display booth at the Annual Maui Ukulele Guild Exhibition at Queen Kaahumanu Center when in town.
- 2011 – First display booth at Annual Maui Ukulele Guild Exhibition and performances by the Maui Ukulele Pops Band and Maui Ukulele Jazz Trio.
- 2012 – First small group lesson for 3 teenagers on spring break from California.
- 2012 – First purchaser of packaged song set of Book/DVD/CD from a woman in California who had seen videos of the Maui Ukulele Pops Band on Mele’s YouTube Channel.
- 2012 – First private student to continue learning by Skype lessons once he returned home to Massachusetts.
- 2012 – First 2-hour strumming workshop called “Play Along with Ukulele Mele.” In 2013, the first written testimonial about the workshop experience was by a participant from Canada.
- 2013 – First YELP review from a private student from Colorado.
- 2013 – First Homer Alaska Ukulele Players Event. Forty players participated in 16-hours of workshops, private small group lessons, and more enjoyed two concerts (Hawaiian, Pop & Jazz) by The Hawaiian Serenaders over 4-days.
- 2015 – First person from Mexico to learn exclusively from watching Mele’s YouTube Channel.
- 2015 – First shopping center program of youth showcase, concert, and free group lessons called Ukulele Mix Plate.
- 2015 – “Maui Mini Aloha” venture announced 25 May.
- 2015 – First private small group lesson for international visitors at a condo.
- 2015 – First listing as a tutor for online lessons on another website https://yokulele.com/.
- 2015 – First feature in China’s Voyage Magazine.
- 2016 – First couple from Switzerland who requested an intensive week of lessons (2-hours a day for 5 days) and progressed from little knowledge to playing 3-chord songs while singing in Happy Birthday in English, German, and Hawaiian, and other songs.
- 2016 – Largest private workshop for the Funstrummers group of 15 from California. (Mele arranged “Be My Baby” after being inspired by their version of the fun song).
- 2016 – First video testimonial by a private student about her experience.
- 2016 – First family ukulele lesson and concert at their condo.
SOCIAL MEDIA (stay connected)