Classes to sing and play ‘ukulele accompanied by professional musicians
Mele Fong and her husband Rich Tom lead a monthly “Sing-Along with Mele Fong” series of classes at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better on Maui. The song’s lyrics and ‘ukulele chords are projected from a computer PowerPoint presentation onto the large screen at the front of the room (similar to Sing-Along with Mitch Miller). Each month has a different theme. Everyone is welcome whether you consider yourself a singer or not. A total of 42 classes have been taught from 2016-2019 to over 962 people.
NEXT CLASS: March 5, 2020 CHECK THE CALENDAR >>
We played The Happy Wanderer with Tom Tom Strum during a monthly “Sing-Along with Mele Fong” class on International Songs on October 25, 2019 at Kaunoa Senior Center for adults 55 and better.
“We go to local parties and now we have a better idea of what they’re singing,” commented recent transplants to Maui. –Island Party Songs, 7 September 2017.
“Singing these songs brought back memories of my sister learning hula when we were growing up,” commented one lady. – Hula Songs, 5 April 2018.
“I changed my doctor’s appointment so I could come to class,” commented a participant. – Hawaiian Island Songs, 16 August 2018.
“You brought tears to my eyes – tears of joy – as I recalled songs I used to sing with my parents,” commented a new participant.– Hawaiian Party Songs, 25 October 2018
MEMORABLE MOMENTS – CLICK ON A PHOTO for the story behind it
- 2016 – First class had the theme “Maui Nui Songs” (islands of Maui, Molokai, and Lanai).
- 37 – The largest crowd came to Paniolo Songs and to Rock ‘n’ Roll Songs both in 2019.
- 2017 – First Christmas Sing-Along in the PowerPoint format rather than handouts.
- 2017 – PowerPoint template evolves to make it easier to view on the screen (changes to background color, font type and size, ukulele strum graphic added to slide with chord shapes, etc.).
- 2018 – New “Hawaiian History Moment of the Month” slide and new “strum graphic” slide to show the name of the ‘ukulele strum along with ‘ukulele chord shapes.
- 2018 – New wireless headsets and wireless instrument inputs into the Center’s PA system so that Mele could play ‘ukulele and move around freely without being connected to cables. Plus, Rich wore our wireless headset so he could be heard as he sang-along in harmony from wherever he sat in the room.
ARCHIVES – CLICK ON YEAR to learn more
2020 – Jan- Hawaiian Party Songs; Feb-Paniolo Songs;
2019 – 12 classes with 314 signups including 38 people (plus waiting list) for Christmas. (Summary of songs)
2018 – 11 classes with 269 signups including 37 people (plus waiting list) for Christmas.
2017 – 12 classes with 249 signups including 39 people for Christmas.
2016 – 7 classes with 130 signups (plus 30 for Christmas program not in Sing-Along format).
VIEW MORE VIDEOS OF SING-ALONGS >> on Mele’s YouTube Channel