In Hawai’i we say Hau’oli Makahiki Hou to say Happy New Year. “In ancient Hawaii, the Makahiki Season was a celebration of abundance of land and sea and the accomplishments of the Hawaiian People. It was the time for healing, new growth, a time of peace and spiritual cleansing of the Hawaiian mind, sound and heart, in celebration of life.” The season lasted approximately four months between November and February.
In the spirit of the Makahiki Season, I offer you a Hawaiian cultural connection through the perpetuation of playing Hawaiian music on the ‘ukulele. Live the Hawaiian culture from wherever you live. Learn to play the ‘ukulele, Hawai’i’s official instrument, from a Native Hawaiian with over 50 years of ‘ukulele playing and performing experience.
For all of you homesick Hawaiians and Hawaiians-at-heart living away from Hawai’i, learn the old Hawaiian songs in a new way. Get my song arrangements with unique strums for the ‘ukulele.
- Can’t pronounce the Hawaiian words? No need to.
- Forgot the melody? We sing so you can focus on playing along.
- Curious about the story behind the song? Watch the video story and/or read the song sheets.
Celebrate the Makahiki Season with Ukulele Mele!
- Learn to play Hawai’i Aloha via a new Single Song Purchase.
- Subscribe to Complete Online Lessons aka Advanced Online to learn 32+ Hawaiian songs.
- Purchase Nostalgic Hawaiian Songs Vol. 1 packaged set of book/DVD/CD.
- Purchase Nostalgic Hawaiian Songs Vol. 2 packaged set of book/DVD/CD.
- Visit the Fan Club to hear Hawaiian songs you can learn to play via private webcam lessons.
Read more how Ka’anapali Beach Hotel celebrates the Makahiki season. We have attended Hawaiian cultural events at the hotel and appreciate the local feel of the place.
Aloha, Mele Fong aka Ukulele Mele